Royal House Antiques is delighted to offer for sale this stunning and exceptionally rare Gillows Lancaster twin pedestal double sided partner desk in panelled figured oak. An exceptionally rare example of a early Victorian partner desk made by one of the finest if not the finest furnisher in English history, Gillows of Lancaster and London. I will include a short biography below on Gillows for those who are not fine furniture connoisseurs. The desk is fully stamped in the middle drawer Gillows - Lancaster and has the correct Bramha stamped locks under the crown.
The desk is made from figured oak which has a wonderful patina throughout, oak tends to be quite a plain grained timber but not this, it is exquisite. The desk is double sided as mentioned, the idea being two partners shared either side, the main side has a full suite of nine drawers, the back side has two large cupboards, pieces like this are exceedingly rare and highly collectable. Please note all measurements are taken at the widest point, if you would like any additional or specific measurements please ask. Gillows of Lancaster and London, also known as Gillow & Co, was an English furniture making firm based in Lancaster, Lancashire, and in London.Gillows furniture was a byword for quality, and other designers used Gillows to manufacture their furniture. Gillows furniture is referred to by Jane Austen, Thackeray and the first Lord Lytton, and in one of Gilbert and Sullivan's comic operas. In 1903 Gillows merged with Warings of Liverpool to become Waring and Gillow and although the furniture remained of a high quality it was not as prestigious.
In 1728 Robert Gillow began trading in Lancaster as a joiner, builder, house carpenter, furniture maker and overseas merchant. By the summer of 1731 he had entered into a partnership with a fellow catholic, George Haresnape, which had ended by 1735.
By 1734 six other names appeared on their staff list. Gillows notably made heavy use of mahogany wood, which is indigenous to the Americas, from the early 1730s. The success of the firm was partly due to his ability to directly import mahogany; by 1742 Gillow was exporting finished mahogany furniture back to the West Indies.
Richard was also the architect for several buildings in Lancaster. He financed the building of the Catholic church in Dalton Square, Lancaster in 1798. Goodison and Hardy state that the firm opened a London branch in 1760 at 176 Oxford Road.
By 1775 the Lancaster branch had 42 employees, and by 1789 there were about 50 employees. Royal House Antiques is a privately owned family ran business founded in Wimbledon SW19 and now based in Pulborough RH20.
We specialise in finding, restoring very fine luxury antique leather seating, along with every single other type of antique ranging from the 16. We also stock a number of designer brands such as Fritz Hansen, Ralph Lauren, Cavalli, Charles & Ray Eames, Vitra, David Linley, Rolex, Tiffany, Jager Le Coulter and so on. Please view the very detailed pictures as they form part of the description pertaining to the condition. Royal House Antiques cannot be held liable for any independent assumptions made regarding the items we sell, if you are unsure on any point, please feel free to ask for clarity. Please note vintage period and original items such as leather seating will always have natural patina in the form of creasing and wear, we recommend annual waxing to ensure no moisture is lost, also hand dyed leather is not recommended to sit in direct sunlight for prolonged periods of time as it will dry out and fade.
COURIER, LARGE ITEMS ONLY THAT CAN'T BE POSTED. Whomever delivers will always require help on the larger items to unload, the price you will be quoted will always be based on this assumption, if this is not possible, please let us know as it will affect the price to send a two-person team. This item is in the category "Antiques\Antique Furniture\Desks & Secretaries". The seller is "royal-house-antiques" and is located in this country: GB. This item can be shipped worldwide.